If you are newly engaged and been looking for a destination-wedding-photographer, you have surely heard about them. They sound mysterious, alluring and almost famous just from those three words – destination wedding photographers. But what is a destination wedding photographer and is there any difference between them and someone who is not a destination wedding photographer? I have listed a few points below on the additional skill sets a destination photographer will possess.
– First of all, a destination wedding photographer is someone who will travel with you, either in your own country or abroad to photograph your wedding. With this being the case, most of them will have a valid passport and are familiar with TSA rules governing flights (In the US) to make sure they can bring all of their equipment safely and securely with them. destination wedding photographer
– Destination photographers are well versed in traveling for business purposes, something that can be difficult and daunting to the uninitiated. Many countries require special permits and visas if you are entering a country for the purpose of work. This experience and knowledge is crucial because foreign countries have and will turn away wedding photographers at customs if they do not have the appropriate permissions and documentation.
– Performing well under adverse conditions is the realm of all wedding photographers. However, traveling for a wedding adds an additional complication – traveling light. A photographer cannot do their job without their equipment and trying to fly a full studio setup is both complicated and expensive. Destination wedding photographers have the adaptability and knowledge with how to do more with less. While some equipment is, of course, necessary, being able to pack lightly while still maintaining a margin of safety for backup cameras, spare batteries and image storage facilities is where the experience, again, really comes through.
– Destination photographers will not have the luxury, most times, to see the facility before arriving for the wedding. While performing a site survey is crucial, there is rarely the option to purchase a piece of needed equipment to deal with a certain scenario, so creativity, flexibility and experience are very necessary traits to look for in your photographer.
– Many destination wedding locations abroad will require you to use a house wedding photographer as part of your package. In some cases (but certainly not all), the house photographers are only there for a small portion of the wedding and are concentrated on taking very standard and traditional photographs. This may be exactly what you are looking for but, if not, bringing your own photographer with you is an option. Keep in mind the house photographer will still be working and your photographer will likely stay out of their way but still get the style of wedding photography you want.